Monday, November 2, 2009

Chemo-15 today.

I have had my fifteenth dose of Cetuximab today. This marks the completion of fifth cycle out of six cycles proposed until now at Bangalore Institute of Oncology(BIO). I went to the hospital today with (a) severe pain around the edges of my feet which were split in several areas thus affecting severely my walk and (b) lot of inflammatory abscesses in my face which were a major irritation.

A few highlights of today's chemo session:
  • Blood counts marginally improved (primarily, the white blood count increased from 3.70 last week to 3.84 today, which is a marginal increase given that the minimum still has to be 4.0)
  • Nursing staff was literally on their toes in finding a vein in my hands for the infusion of the chemo drug. Finally, after a couple of pricks in my right hand causing severe pain for me, they had found a vein in my right forearm (See the attached photograph)
  • My doctor, Dr.Niti Narang, did not visit me today for the simple reason that by the time the intra-venal (IV) infusion had started, it was already 3 PM and that was the time when my doctor usually completes her duty. (Of course, the duty doctor, Dr.Kartik had a look at my blood report and inquired about my health in general)
  • Waiting time for the admission into the recliner was more than one-and-half hours, which was way beyond my limits of patience!
One good news for me is that I need to take a one-week break from the Xeloda tablets until next monday :) These tablets usually are affecting my appetite and general sleeping patterns. Of course, stopping them for a week might not make a major impact on my lifestyle though it is a welcome relief for me!

(The photograph shows two-plastered areas where pricks were made for the intra-venal (IV) infusion. The first prick on the little finger did not give a good vein and the second prick in the forearm was successful in getting a good vein. One can observe that the area below the fingers was black and a bit swollen because of the multiple needle pricks that were done in this process of getting a good vein for the infusion of today's chemo drug.)

2 comments:

  1. Dear Mohan,

    This is Aravind 2001-2003 batch from SBM, currently with HDFC BANK Ltd..

    I just saw Asha scrap in Orkut regarding your health, and since morning i was reading your blog. this is the first ever i was reading any once blog. Believe me it took more than 2hrs to read every word by written by you...

    I was really inspired by the way you are handling the problem...Anna you are superb,

    With the guts you have, the prayers that you have done, and the love that your parents have on you, you can happily come out of these hard days of your life...

    I am coordinating with my friend of SBM regarding what little help that we can do to you in "Your fight against cancer"

    Get well soon anna....

    Aravind.vadlani@gmail.com
    Call@ 9963664999

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aravind,

    Thank you very much for your encouraging words and support. I am very happy to learn that you have read my blog and understand my experiences as well. Yes, this is a deadly disease and I am not going down without fighting it with all my might against that! :)

    Mohan.

    ReplyDelete