Monday, November 16, 2009

Chemo-17 today.

I have had my seventeenth dose of Cetuximab today. I went to the hospital today with (a) severe pain around the edges of my feet which were split in several areas thus affecting severely my walk and (b) lot of inflammatory abscesses in my face and both the legs which were a major irritation.

A few highlights of today's chemo session:
  • Blood counts have again dropped with the white blood count going down from an amazing 8.49 last week to 2.44 today! Though the value of 2.44 does not fall in the recommended range of 4 - 11, it is fine for the infusion of the Cetuximab.
  • The ordeal of finding a vein in my hands for the infusion of the chemo drug was again back. Finally, after a couple of trials, the nursing staff found a vein in my right forearm.
  • My doctor, Dr.Niti Narang, did not visit me today for the simple reason that by the time the intra-venal (IV) infusion had started, it was again already 3 PM and that was the time when my doctor usually completes her duty. However, the assistant doctor Dr.Smita visited me and enquired about my health condition in general. When I told her about the rashes on my face and legs, she told me that these were the side-effects of the chemotherapy, especially, the infusion of the Irinotecan, and were expected. She assured me that they would go away over time.
  • My weight has improved marginally from 84 kg to 89 kg! Though my father, who accompanied me today, was at discomfort with the abnormal weight, he left a sigh of relief when the doctor and I reassured him that it was a good sign given that chemotherapy is going on now.

No comments:

Post a Comment